Consultation Maps Launched for Monton Neighbourhood Area and Fallowfield Loop Route
Two public consultations were launched this week for schemes that have the potential to improve the active travel network in Greater Manchester.
Monton Village Filtered Neighbourhood and the Fallowfield Loop are the latest locations in the region to be opened for comments from the community.
The 14km Fallowfield Loop route was awarded £4.9m funding in Tranche 6 of the Mayor’s Challenge Fund.
Manchester City Council has stated its intention “to enhance the route, creating a safer, more convenient and accessible cycling and walking network and encourage more people to use this much-loved route.”
Its aims are to:
- Make the route safer and reduce anti-social behaviour
- Reduce/clear overgrown vegetation
- Having a route that is more open and better connected to surrounding neighbourhoods
- Strengthen the habitat and landscape to create a more open and less intimidating environment for users
- Upgrading access points to make entry and exit points clearer
- Transforming and enhancing open areas to provide more inviting places for people to relax, play, and include seating areas along the route
- Street lighting to allow users to travel throughout the year, particularly in the winter months.
- To help us ensure that we design improvements are suitable for everyone, we need your ideas and feedback.
Monton Village Filtered Neighbourhood
Salford City Council is encouraging residents to engage with the Commonplace map to gather views to feed into the Monton Village Filtered Neighbourhood (also known as a ‘low-traffic neighbourhood’ or ‘active neighbourhood’ – explained further here).
The project received £1.5m from Tranche 2 of the Mayor’s Challenge Fund, and Salford City Council said the aim is “to make Monton easier, safer and more convenient to get around by foot, bike and public transport. We also want to make sure that it is connected to the wider Bee Network to facilitate better movement between areas.”
The Commonplace maps allow people to comment on where there are issues that require attention as part of the schemes. You can make your own comments and show agreement with others’ comments via the following links for Monton Village and the Fallowfield Loop.
Photo via Sustrans.